Ongar Castle

Don’t get excited, it is now just a grass mound. The wooden fort on top disappeared years ago but originally there was a Norman motte and bailey castle and enclosed village on this site. It was first mentioned in 1157 and was probably built by Richard de Lucy, but the keep was demolished in C16 and replaced by a brick building which in turn was demolished in C18.